Thursday, June 4, 2009

So much to do, so little energy

Well, I have not locked myself in any small spaces, so I'm already doing better than last post.

This city never sleeps, I swear. I went out to a parilla (steak house) on Friday, and made a lot of new friends. A couple Brits, a Sweed, couple Americans. It was a great meal, I'd say it was worth $30 after all the wine and steaks, but it came out to around $15. Its amazing how cheap things are, but they do add up. The local beer (Quilmes) is actually pretty tasty, especially from the tap. We went to a Barioche (club) called Museum. I intend to see other museums too, but this one was hard to pass up. The Argentines start to show up to the clubs around 2 or 3 in the morning, and leave around 7. Friday was my only night out, and I only made it to 3 (had to wake up at 9 the next morning). Its hard to shift gears, but I have 8 weeks to adjust.

But it is not all about the night life. Sunday I went to the San Telmo market, which literally draws about 10,000 people every sunday. One street is taken over by local merchants. It is quite an amazing site. "The area is full of antiques, colorful characters, passion, youth, and nostalgia. Tango percolates, and the street artists fill the streets with amazing music." It was a great day, and I cant wait to go back. I dont think 8 sundays will be enough.
Below is the mate drink and the dulce de leche (caramel spread) that is everywhere down here.
I started my spanish classes this week. I was placed in a 300 level class, but after one day of that, I knew I was in over my head. Being good at placement tests can be a bad thing, so I dropped down to the lower class, and its a lot closer to what I should be learning. I go from 1-4 durring the week, which is good and bad. Its hard to wake up early when I dont HAVE to.

Next week, I will start he volunteering during the mornings, so it will really put my stamina to a test. I've been waking up around 10 and going for jogs around the neighborhood. I have seen a lot, the city is soooo huge. My runs that I intend to be 20 minutes have been more like 40 because its so easy to get lost with these crazy streets.

Yesterday I met up with Sarah P. a friend from UofM. We went to the Chinese Barrio for some Americanized Chinese food in a Latin American city... It was an adventure, about a 25 minute taxi ride, the city is very large..

Tomorrow I will be playing a drop in soccer game with people from all over the world, and Saturday we are going to the world cup qualifier game(Argentina vs. Columbia). I am really excited for that. I will post pictures next time, I swear!

Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment